View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
When I first read the OP, I thought NCAA was making projected subs allowed.
Now, it seems they were just reinforcing the prohibition.
Even though I don't care about NCAA anymore, I wonder if those who do might be confused by this.
The confusion arose by what constituted a "projected sub." Prior to 2018 (and 2017 for NFHS), the substitution rules basically stated when the sub was in the game. On defense, this is easy, when they take their position. Offense is different, because a coach could tell you that during the inning exchange, that the 'second batter will be #X'" Now, the rules in all three codes did not prohibit it, it was the interpretation that it was not allowed, especially from the (highly respected) former NCAA SRE.

Flash back to 2016, I'm sitting in Indy for the NCAA clinic, the new SRE re-enforcing the interpretation. Question arises about reentering the DP after she has been removed while on bases (in that she is not unreported for her next return at bat). New SRE is taken aback, works into a corner, first replying "why would a coach want to do that?" (crowd audibly gasps) and then says: "well, that would be ok, because they are going back to the original line up." (crowd does more than gasps). We walk away with 1) only allowing offense sub either at bat or on bases and 2) the DP can reenter without batting.

The 2016 NFHS change and 2018-2019 NCAA change are (IMO) only clarifications against the interpretation. Now you can enter players on offense without the batter in the batter's box or on bases (or reenter the DP). Period. Only scope of the rule change.

Quote:
.................................................. .................................
Some very good points were made in this topic, especially the later ones by IM & D. As long as USA and NFHS keep the current rule, which are easy to handle, fine with me.
Well, I didn't mention USA softall in the above. Does USA softball have an official interpretation?