View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

When it comes to momentum, it is always the player's choice/fault to hang on the rim. Every player knows their forward speed and they never need to hang on the rim for initial attacks at the basket. Dunking is all about choices at the rim. I found it to be a bit of sweet justice when the guy fell on his face. I certainly do not like to see people ever get hurt but his actions were not necessary and I guarantee that he has been grasping/hanging on rims ever since he could touch it, all for no reason other than to look cool. Dunking by default, at least for the last 30 years, always meant and means grasping the ring. Everyone has to hang a bit, retract the rim, swing, etc., again, all unnecessary acts that are chosen by the player, including myself. I have seen countless people fall awkwardly, again including myself, when grabbing the rim. It is all their own fault.

Certainly once at the rim, if someone decides to come under them, then indeed, hang for safety. I always prefer to land on the person, if a defender, and dole out some street, or court, justice.