View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 18, 2018, 10:51pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
That was my situation tonight. Middle school coach calls timeout specifically to call me over to discuss a couple of no calls. After giving him more explanation than I should have, then being informed we were not going to discuss any more calls the rest of the night, as I walked away he said "then call it both ways!" He found himself coaching from the bench the rest of the night. MS coaches don't always get experienced refs who will take care of inappropriate behavior in front of the kids. Maybe his behavior will be better the rest of the season.
I had something similar happen last year. Home team needs to foul to stop the clock and home player grabs the visiting team's ball handler from behind and appears to get a handful of jersey as well... an easy intentional foul call.

Home coach disagrees and calls time out to express his disagreement with me and ask about the call. Once it was obvious we were going in circles, I told him I'd be moving on and I left to go to my time out spot. He then followed me onto the court and said, "Well, I'm not!" That was one of my easier technical fouls to call .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Are you or your partners using (the bench warning)?
I've used it once so far in a JV girls game to address inappropriate comments by players on the bench. As soon as I reported it and told the coach what happened, she addressed it immediately, and we didn't have a problem for the rest of the game.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Thu Jan 18, 2018 at 10:55pm.