View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 17, 2018, 12:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I didn’t need to see it. I HEARD it in real time. That’s why I assumed this was a BI call. In analyzing that, I neglected to consider the possibility of GT (I just assumed the announcers used it as a blanket term as usual). But yeah, I guess GT is what C had. The signal is no different from the one where you award points for BI, correct?
This is actually kind of semantics. This is mainly an NCAA rule that said that we are to count the basket on a slapped backboard. I think for this specific act, it is used interchangeably to call it BI or even GT when the NF never have such a rule. GT in NF rules only is about touching the ball and BI is about touching the ball or the basket/rim/net with the ball in a certain location at the time of the touch.

I get it and it is correct to call it what it actually is, but this is a relatively newer rule that you have to put out of your mind what was done for years. I know I say BI not thinking of anything other than we will count the basket if the backboard is hit hard enough to rattle the rim during a shot. But clearly, this is nothing related to either BI or GT in an NF game.

Peace