Thread: Who shoots?
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 16, 2018, 02:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I'm not sure this is correct - if the punch occurs while the ball is live -- the rulebook language is that fighting is a flagrant "act".

There is also this case play from a few years back
10.4.5 SITUATION A: Post-players A1 and B1 begin punching each other and
play is stopped. Two substitutes from each team leave the bench area and come onto the court. The four substitutes: (a) do not become involved in the fight; (b)all become involved in the fight; or (c) substitutes A6, A7, and B6 do not participate in the fight, but B7 becomes involved in the fight. RULING: A1 and B1 are charged with flagrant fouls and are disqualified, but no free throws result from the double personal flagrant fouls...
I do not know what I said was incorrect. Fighting is a flagrant act. The rule on fighting is mostly referenced in Rule 10 with the descriptions of technical fouls and makes no distinction if contact takes place or not.

And the Rule 4 definitions says clearly (Rule 4-18)

Quote:
Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as

Art. 1...An attempt to strick, punch or kick by using fist, hands, arms, legs, feet regardless of where contact is made.

Art. 2...An attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsporting act that causes a person to retaliate by fighting.
Seems pretty clear to me.

Peace