Thread: New Hip anyone?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 15, 2018, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

My next follow up visit with the doc is on the 24th. In general, I'd say things are progressing well. I no longer feel the occasional "clunk" that I mentioned earlier. Not to say that I won't ever again, but it feels more comfortable.

I'm totally off the Vicodin at this point. I take Tylenol more for my back than for the hip at this point. And that is sporadic. Still on the Gabapentin with no obvious issues.

I've been practicing going up/down stairs in my house. Still a little weak when stepping up on the operative leg. I use both the railing and my cane when negotiating the stairs. After the first couple of days of doing the stairs I was surprised at how sore my calf muscles were. Apparently they weren't being used enough in that month following surgery. The soreness has subsided meaning the muscles must be strengthening.

I meander around the house often without the use of the cane. Especially in the kitchen area, there are plenty of things to reach out for if I need a little extra support.

Last Thursday I drove myself to the grocery store and did our food shopping. Driving was fine, no issues from gas to brake. I have a Fitbit One and that day I managed to record over 5k steps, the highest since surgery. I'm usually around 2k to 2.5k daily. I will say that by the end of the day my legs were very tired. If the weather improves, I may try walking up and down the street a bit. But it was 7 degrees this morning with a wind chill of -7, so I'm in no hurry to get out there other than taking the dog out for a quick piddle. If my dog poops, I can't bend over to pick it up, so I have to stay in my immediate yard area. She doesn't like the cold either!

I have a few appointments and errands coming up that I'll be able to drive myself to so that takes some of the burden off my wife. She's back to her regular work schedule as of last week.

While I can mostly dress/undress myself, I still need help with getting a sock on my right foot. I can now get a sock off, but need the sock aid to get it partially on. Then it needs adjusting around the toes and heel. But I'm making progress. Still thinking about being able to get plate shoes on!