View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 13, 2018, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
I've never heard that differentiation before.
Hi Felix,

I've not been on the board for a while (several weeks, I guess). I'm a bit surprised by your reply...not because I question it, but that I thought that's how it was trained at that level.

When I have watched Big Ten and NCAA Tournament-level matches, I don't think I have ever seen a net violation on player #4 signaled directly to the side of the R1/R2 (where the 2-hits and 4-hits signals are displayed). i.e. bicep in line with both shoulders and forearm directly up/down from elbow. To me, that's always been the position for the double-contact and 4-hits call. When watching the elite officials (D1 regionals, semi-finals, finals), the R2 has almost always displayed player numbers forward of his/her body on the offending side.

Just found this on Page 98 of the 2017-18 NFHS Volleyball Case/Manual:

"When showing player numbers, it is important to not create confusion with signaling illegal multiple contacts (showing '2') or 4 hits (showing '4'). The first referee should hold the player number signal in an area not used to show a foul involving number of player contacts. This could be at shoulder height and slightly to the side of the offending team as opposed to head height where '2-hit' and '4-hit' signals are to be held."

Truth be told, I don't recall having ever seen this verbiage before, but did what I described earlier because I saw so many highly-regarded officials doing it that way...and it seemed quite logical to me.

- Tim