View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 03, 2018, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Out of Bounds Location

Over the holidays, I had a partner who refused to administer a spot throw where the ball went out of bounds. Instead this individual, would often bounce the ball across the lane on baseline throw ins. On more than 1 occasion, this left myself and our 3rd out of position. Below is an excerpt from a recent IAABO newsletter, which seems like perfect timing. I normally address this as the R in pre-game, but in this case I was U2 and our pre-game was cut short. Afterwards, I asked the individual about bouncing across the lane and they said they are fine doing that and many college instructors are okay with this to speed up play. That doesn't sound right to me, but I always appreciate hearing from others. Thoughts? Is anyone else hearing this from instructors?

Officials should also guard against the urge to determine the throw-in spot based on the location of the officials. This frequently occurs when the ball is knocked out of bounds on the endline across the lane. In this case, the lead needs to administer the throw-in across the lane which will require his/her partner(s) to move across the court. Often times you will see the administering official put the ball in an incorrect location so the partners will not have to move. On other occasions, there are throw-ins placed on the sideline, when by rule it should be on the endline. We need to remind ourselves what impact this type of decision has on both teams. Many teams have designed inbounds plays, and if we put the ball in an incorrect location, we do impact the effectiveness of both the offense and defense on the ensuing throw-in.