View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 31, 2017, 04:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Team A scores to pull within 2 points of Team B with 13 seconds left and the clock running. After the score A-1 knocks the ball away and it rolls about 15 ft to a back wall of the gym. I held my whistle for delay as it seemed an unfair advantage for Team A to stop the clock to issue the warning. As I wait for Team B to go and get the ball, Coach of team A starts screaming for me to start my 5 sec count.... I blew the whistle and told coach A that his team knocked the ball away etc. Of course Team A steals the ensuing throw in and hits a three pointer at the buzzer to win the game. I know I probably shouldn't have blown the whistle here, but how would you guys have handled this end of game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
By the rulebook. Whistle, stop clock. Delay warning for interfering with the ball after a made goal (technical foul if already warned for delay) written in scorebook. Team B gets a run the endline throwin.

You can't get into trouble if you go by the book.

10.1.5 SITUATION D: Immediately following a goal by A1, A3 slaps the ball
away so that Team B is unable to make a quick throw-in. RULING: The official
shall sound his/her whistle and go to the table to have the scorer record a team
warning for delay. The warning shall then be reported to the head coach of Team A.
Any subsequent delay by Team A shall result in a team technical foul charged
to Team A. (4-47-3)

Key here is thirteen seconds. Five seconds or less, I'm letting the clock run, as advised by a NFHS casebook play.

9.2.10 SITUATION A: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through
the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1’s hands. Team B has not been
warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a
technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded
and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running
and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering
with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the
clock
. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to
make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous
warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock
and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-
47-1; 10-1-5b, c; 10-3-10)

I have never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) been averse to issue a formal Scorebook Warning. But in the OP as described, I would have charged A1 with a TF for Delay of Game and issued a Scorebook Warning to Team A for a Delay of Game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio