View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 24, 2017, 06:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Uneducated? He speaks from experience as a player. When you feel the football in your hands, you know what possession is. Then it's just a matter of the rules makers translating that to something an official can see.
Players sit on the competition committee of the NFL and write the rules?

Quote:
They didn't shrink the grey area, they just moved it. Now the grey area is over determining when a player is going to the ground while attempting a catch or recovery.
Well, it is better than ruling a TD by the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. I saw that play years before I was an official and thought there is no way that was a catch, but it was ruled one. I am fine with the way the rule is.

Quote:
Besides, this didn't get rid of the most controversial catch-&-fumble or recovery-&-fumble calls, because most of them didn't involve the ball's coming out because of contact with the ground.
You will never get rid of controversy. But if you change it to what some people think you will have nothing but controversy. Because if you change the rule to what some want, you will have several bad turnovers, which seems to be the reason for the change over the years.

Peace