View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

And as I have already stated, there is no possible way to have everything in the rule book. The NCAA book is well over 200 pages and they attempt to cover everything yet they also have case book as well as what used to be referred to as Ask Dee, a rules clarification document of rules questions asked by officials.

As for wiping the hand, the only mention in the rule book of the need to wipe the hand before touching the ball is if the pitcher licks their fingers. Why do some umpires use this as justification to make the pitcher wipe their hand after touching something else? I have had partners call an IP because the pitcher touched their hair, face, arm etc and not wipe before going to the ball. Apparently even rules clarifications don't work in some cases, just this past spring I believe it was a high school association in Louisiana was instructing their officials to call IP's if the pitcher did not wipe their hand after touching the dirt. NFHS has the exact same clarification on the rule as does USA. Even after being shown the NFHS clarification by several association umpires they changed their ruling from dirt being a foreign substance to it not being an approved drying agent and still demanded the officials call an IP for touching dirt and not wiping even though the clarification says there is no need to wipe the hand.

As long as I have been officiating there has always been a rule book, case book and rules clarifications. All 3 need to be referenced to know the correct way the association wants the rules enforced. As for the question on the test, as I indicated above the only reference to wiping the hand is if the pitcher licks their fingers, that alone would answer the test question strictly from the rule book.