Thread: Walking steal.
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 02, 2003, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
"None of us liked that, as there is no rule requiring a runner to advance at any certain speed."

ASA Rule 8, Section 7, T-1
The Runner Is Out
A runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch or as a result of a batter completing a turn at bat, and while the pitcher has control of the ball within an eight foot (2.44m) radius of the pitcher's plate, the runner may stop once, but then must immediately return to the base or attempt to advance to the next base.

"True, but that refers to making the decision and beginning moving - it says nothing about how fast"

The words "must immediately return or must immediately attempt to advance" seem to imply the total movement of the batter - not just beginning moving. (IMHO) If, in my judgement, I have a runner attempting to immediately advance to the next base ( in which case the runner will be running, NOT walking or strolling), and the pitcher steps on the pitcher's plate, as the PU I would call a "no-pitch" and allow that runner to attain the next base. If my timing is correct and the runner is truly attempting to advance, the runner will be reaching the base at about the same time I complete my "no-pitch" call. However, if the runner is merely walking or strolling between bases and the pitcher is clearly in the circle with control of the ball, then I don't believe the runner is truly "immediately attempting to advance". Maybe attempting to distract the pitcher, but not really attempting to advance.