View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 15, 2017, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
To each his own, but I find that to be a very robotic way of officiating. I'm not saying that you are required to calm down a coach, but when an emotional play or call happens and a coach has overstepped their bounds and received a T, a little chat and discussion to listen to their concerns by another member of the crew certainly doesn't hurt things and likely will help down the line.
The coach lost his opportunity to make his concerns known when he got a T, at least for the period immediately following the T. I’m not giving him an opportunity to take a shot at my partner or to talk to me and then lie about what I said.

Someone sent me a Court Club vídeo recently where the NBA referees speaking made very clear that in the NBA, the philosophy and expectation is that you leave the coach alone after he gets whacked and it is not your job to calm him down. Don’t see why this philosophy shouldn’t be the standard at lower levels, too (at most camps I’ve been to I hear some form of this same philosophy).