View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Garth,

I have no issues with the rules you cited in your reply. But, the one rule you left out was 9.01(d).

"COACH! OFF THE FIELD AND TAKE YOUR BATTERY WITH YOU!" "YES, UNSPORTSMAN LIKE CONDUCT IS THE WAY I WILL REPORT IT!"

THEN, I would keep the ball, warn the opposing skipper and his bench, make damn sure that the three ejected team members were out of the park, or at least behind the stands.

I would tell the new mgr. that his team is about to forfit the game, so stay on top of his players. This whole scene seldom happens unless the mgr. and coaches practice it, foster it, or at least turn their heads in tacit approval.

Finally, I would write down all the details needed for a full report that would be faxed to my assigner soon after the game. In our association, our assigner prefers to make the direct contact with the various league presedents. They are his clients and he wouldn't want some irate umpire coming down on a league pres. or saying something that might roughen relationships that might affect next years service.

I am not a hard-*** umpire, and I believe in the spirit of a rule as much as I do the letter of the law. But, don't pitch at a batter's head!

Oh yes, I would give the ball back to the new pitcher.