View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Interesting. It's fun to read through these and see what different areas of the country are getting. I'd be curious to see what the lower end of these numbers are for more rural areas and smaller schools. For small school, I did a game last year with no travel reimbursement that was about an hour and 45 min away that paid $85 for a varsity doubleheader. We usually only get one of those a year, as our assignor is very good about trying to keep us within 60 miles. In fact, I only have one game >60 miles away this year, and it will be a great game between two teams that are traditionally solid programs.
Absolutely, I think that it is good to give a bit of clarity to the independent contractors and I know that there is monthly grumbling at meetings about the pay in our areas.

One surprise to me has been when the states very by conference or district especially when they are so close. We are so short officials in our area you can work as many games as you want literally 6 days a week, everyday but Sunday. If I was located near two districts that paid different, I would only work in the higher paying district. I'm sure that is not the reality but it seems like it would make it difficult for smaller or lower paying schools to get quality officials and fill there schedules, especially with the national shortage of officials.

Another large difference that is coming to light is mileage. Ranges from nothing to full .50/mile reimbursement make a large difference in your take home check at the end of the night.