Thread: Walking steal.
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA

... s/he may want to quietly state, "step out, batter" in an even further effort to prevent a possible problem...
I do not certify with ASA, but I presume that there are certain circumstances which give a batter the liberty to step out of the batter's box. If one of those circumstances has occurred, then I think it would be the duty of the coach to offer any coaching advice to the batter. The umpire stating, "step out, batter" would seem to me to be a directive and I'm not sure an umpire would have that authority if not calling time.

As for moving out of the PU's ball/strike-calling position to a place slightly toward third base, I would think this would be a good suggestion... even if the call at third is not the PU's call.

If the umpire is out of position and if the pitcher were to deliver a legal pitch to a batter that is legally in the batter's box, then as far as I know the results of that pitch would stand... ball, strike, out, hit, whatever. In this case, as least in NFHS, the book states that the result of the pitch is a no-pitch, with the runner returning.

The only time I have seen anything close to this happening was in rec baseball when rain was threatening and the winning offensive team was trying to get to the end of five so they would have a legal game. I can't imagine it ever happening in a fast pitch softball game. If they want an out, just leave the base early.