View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Having been umpiring on a serious level for only the past year (lots of youth ball of course, and 1st yr FED), Im still learning my chops. Balks is the area Ive had the hardest time. Getting better, but I think Im still missing some. Heres one from yesterday, 15 year olds, tourney.

--R2. Left-handed pitcher. Left foot on rubber, right foot in front a foot or so, glove at his side, ball in pitching hand, just standing there. Getting ready to go into set position. Turns his head back to check R2. With only his head turned back to check R2, F1 makes a quick feint to 2nd , never turning his body, or stepping towards 2nd. I hesitated a moment and called a balk. My thought process was F1 can only fake a throw to 2nd or 3rd, but must step towards the base, which he didnt. No one came out on me, but defensive coach said I let "them" (offensive coaches) call it for me. Now they screamed balk when it happenned, so, yeah, maybe the combination of that, and the play looking a little odd, caused me to call it. Did I yak it??