View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Quote:
NFHS
8-8 RUNNER IS NOT OUT

ART. 10... The runner is not given sufficient time to return to a base. The runner will not be called out for being off the base before the pitcher releases the ball. EFFECT: "No pitch" will be called by the umpire and the runner(s) will be permitted to return to the proper base(s) without penalty.
In a way I feel putting the runner back at the previous base "cheats" the runner is she was trying to advance. However, it is the batter's fault for taking her position.
Speaking ASA.

I certainly don't believe you can even come close to faulting the batter. The batter is not only encouraged to stay ready, but required by rule to keep one foot in the box between pitches unless circumstance prevents it.

Tom is correct that the umpire should have not taken his/her position until the runner completed her running task.

If the umpire isn't in position, then you have nothing more than the pitcher throwing the ball to the catcher to prevent the runner from scoring.

If the umpire is in position, and the BU notices and call "no pitch", I would follow ASA's guideline set forth in their obstruction ruling that when the ball is killed due to a defensive violation, the runner is placed based upon the base to which they are the closest at the time of the call.

Under no circumstance can you rule the runner out for simply playing the game.