View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I'm interested in hearing exactly how in this play you are supposed to 1) referee the defenders upper body to know whether it is moving forward or not and 2) judge exactly when one foot touches down making the defender legal.

I'm arguing there are limits to which we can detect parts of a given play. If you want to argue that the defenders big toe touches down before the offensive player initiates contact -- fine. I'm saying I (and any other human) can't see two things at once. Which is why we have judgement. In this play I lean towards calling a foul, whereas you lean the opposite way. That's fine. Just understand that most coaches (who write the rules and to an extent govern an officials advancement) would see this play as an obvious foul.
Arem, you have to see the whole play at once. You've got an offensive player obviously diving in to draw a foul. Really, really obvious. I'm not giving him that call. Your statement that most coaches and those who govern ....would see this as an "obvious foul" is absurd.

And i wont be looking for the defenders big toe hitting ground etc. This is where judgment comes into play. Offensive player dives in... i need to see more from defender, moving at him , trying block shot etc. this defender is trying to get the hell out of way. Now, you can call it a foul. Obviously, these guys did. I dont agree. Think they both should have passed. it certainly isnt an obvious foul..

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Nov 28, 2017 at 03:49pm.