Thread: Test results
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 28, 2017, 11:22am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
We got our test results today. I have serious issues with a couple of questions. Perhaps somebody here can point out what I'm missing.

It is possible for a charge to be called on the offensive player while the defensive player is moving.

I put true and it's marked wrong.

???

Yes. Once a defensive player has obtained (NFHS) a LGP, he/she may move to maintain it and if there is contact with the player in control of the ball when the contact occurs, the offensive player is responsible for the contact as long as the defensive player is not moving obliquely toward the player with the ball.

I do not have my rules books with me but you will fund the definition of LGP in Rule 4 under Guarding in the NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's Rules Books. The wording will be exactly the same except that the NCAA still uses the word "establish" instead of the word "obtain". The NFHS made the change about 20 years ago. The FIBA definition is also exactly the same (it also uses the word " establish") but I do not remember which Rule it is in in the FUBA Rules Book.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio