View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mo99
I still disagree and can not find the rule to substantiate this not being called interference.This being a "Fantasy Island"play is not of concern to us as umpires.It is still a live ball play which can result in a 3 foot lane interference call.The time the catcher has to make the throw is irrelevant as well.I couldnt care less about the proper way to coach either the batter-runner or the fielders.Bottom line is if there is a throw to first base,and the BR is out of the 3 foot lane and interferes with the fielder's attempt to receive the throw,we have interference.

Jeff
NCAA Certified
NFHS Certified
ASA Certified
Jeff,

Go ahead and call it then. But please note that 8.2.E states that it is the umpire's judgment as to whether the presence of the BR outside of the three-foot lane interferes with a fielder taking a throw at 1B. Therefore, IN MY JUDGMENT, it does not.

BTW, if you want to be as anal as I, please note that there is no such animal as a "certified" ASA umpire.

You may have a card from ASA that uses the word "certified", but all is certifies is that you are registered with ASA and all that takes is $12.00.

Now, I understand that there are local associations which stamp your card CERTIFIED, but that is the local association, not ASA.

Thanks,