View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 10:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I'm interested in hearing exactly how in this play you are supposed to 1) referee the defenders upper body to know whether it is moving forward or not and 2) judge exactly when one foot touches down making the defender legal.

I'm arguing there are limits to which we can detect parts of a given play. If you want to argue that the defenders big toe touches down before the offensive player initiates contact -- fine. I'm saying I (and any other human) can't see two things at once. Which is why we have judgement. In this play I lean towards calling a foul, whereas you lean the opposite way. That's fine. Just understand that most coaches (who write the rules and to an extent govern an officials advancement) would see this play as an obvious foul.
Coaches are the ones who wrote the rule that they don't want Shooters making unnatural movements to draw contact and get a foul on Defenders who are jumping past, and not into the shooter.

And let's say that the defender was still airborne. He jumped to that spot before the shooter did. The shooter had stopped and then after the defender had jumped to that position, the shooter jumped in that direction.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk