View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 09:30pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The hell it doesn't. It shows that what we think we see on the court is not always what actually happens, and that we need to adjust how we are looking at plays.

That is one of the purposes of video. Look for reasons to get plays right, not excuses to get them wrong.
Hope you’re not implying that I am looking for excuses to get plays wrong.

Pretty sure it’s a given that what we see on the court is not what actually happens. I go slo-mo sometimes to break down a play to see if I got it right or not, but again, that’s not how we referee in real time. The best thing a Ref can do when watching video and finding ways to get better is pretending you are one of the officials in the floor and watching the game at full speed. What should that Ref be watching? When should he switch to a different competitive matchup? When should he switch on ball? Where should he move to see the play? Which defender is he refereeing on a multiple defender play? What’s the obvious call in a situation? Those are the questions I ask — I don’t make excuses, and parsing slo-mo video doesn’t help anyone referee better.