View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
She's a princess pitcher, Manny, and no one wants to risk her breaking a finger (or nail) trying to bat in a meaningless game. Daddy will be the first to agree.
Jeebus, this is so true. How many times have we heard "She throws eight pitches! I know she's 13, but did you know she'll have a full ride to Oklahoma?" (Five of which are fastballs of various speeds and locations, a "rise ball" which is just a consistently high pitch, one breaking pitch, and a sometimes-decent changeup.)

I am no coach, but the best pitchers I have ever seen have had the following: a fastball with command (fast, but actual speed mostly irrelevant), a changeup that hits the zone 60%+ of the time, and a true breaking pitch; bonus points if it's a drop ball or screwball (breaking away from righties and inside on lefties). If you can throw these three with control, then yes, you'll be in line for some school money somewhere.

Molly Hill was the best youth/club/HS pitcher I have ever seen. I worked a state tournament game where she threw a perfect game with 21 strikeouts. It was an absolute joy to be behind the plate. Easiest "big" game I ever had.

Last edited by teebob21; Mon Nov 20, 2017 at 09:26pm.