View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 11, 2017, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
So, the appeal process (overall) change to dead ball appeals was an overt attempt to make appeals easier, not harder to perform. After all, the offense has violated, the defense is pointing it out, and the appeal details aren't meant to cheat the defense out of the earned penalty.

That said, and while I would also happily work with youngump's exchange, I would submit that if we are allowed (and we are!!) to ask things like "Which runner?", and "Which base?", then my response to "I'm appealing the runner missed 2nd" would be "When are you saying the runner standing on 2nd missed 2nd?".

If anyone on defense can tell me it was missed on the return, then I'm ruling the out for the successful appeal. They know they are appealing a missed base, we have one; I'm not putting more hurdles in their way. (Although, I agree, Mike, they may have technically remedied the miss of 2nd, but they haven't fully remedied the baserunning issue of having to return to 1st in a proper sequence, after having retouched 2nd.)

And, since enough people have felt the need to include baseball, allow me to opine that the whole "gross miss" versus a missed base is a stinking steaming load of horsecrap. Either the runner touched the bases, in the proper order, or the runner violated. Period. Stop screwing up simple concepts by having unnecessary separate categories of missed bases, or obstruction, even.
The OP mentioned the other sports interp, thus including baseball. I don't know what obstruction has to do with this thread? But things change. FED and NCAA BB punish gross misses but allow LTB on other than that. MLB/OBR used to punish gross misses but, I believe, currently allow any LTB to absove a previous miss. I think Wendelstedt gave Carl Childress a valid arguement as to why. One of the previous posters humorously said the runner, in SB, should be appealed at 1B. He might be right.