View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The coach, pitcher or catcher of the defensive team may request an intentional walk either before or during the pitch count.
Rationale:This change to allow intentional walks was enacted to align fast pitch and slow pitch rules, to keep up with current trends of the sport, and also to maximize the flow of the game.

Question is: What is the limit, how often, conditions, etc. this intentional walk can be used. If no limits, a game would never end from all the walks (everybody walks).
There isn't one, until you see it in the rules. The game governs itself...if I, as a coach, want to walk 38 batters in a row in the top of the first, I can. I'm down 34-0 at minimum at this point, so the run rule will get me eventually. As an umpire, if I believe the coach is using the rule in violation of the spirit of the game, I have tools to curb the behavior as well as eventually remove the coach. If every adult on that HS bench chooses to intentionally walk every batter ever....well, we will run out of coaches and have ourselves an easy forfeit. The incident report writes itself.

This is an extreme example, but a valid one. As officials, let's not overthink this rule change.

Do I like it (the rule change)? HELL NO, make the pitcher throw 4 pitches if they want an IBB. Can I do anything about it? Again, no.

Last edited by teebob21; Thu Nov 09, 2017 at 08:58pm.