View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
To me, "contrasting" just means that they're easily distinguishable. I'm pretty sure I can tell white from yellow and gray from dark green.

Is there some other concept of "contrasting" that you're saying I should be using?
It depends. Being able to "tell the difference" can depends on a lot of variables. Sure, you might be able to tell the difference right away, but during a bang-bang play, can you immediately tell that was the libero, as opposed to another player, who finger set that ball and be able to make other judgments that you need to make on short notice, without having to linger and think about whether or not that was the libero?

Things I try to take into acccount:

Can I tell where the libero is out of my peripheral vision? That's pretty contrasting. If I can't immediately tell where the libero is in my peripheral vision, the jersey might not be very contrasting.

If we took the color of the regular player's jersey, and made it the number of the libero player's jersey, without an outline (or vice versa), would I be able to see that number easily? If so, then yes, that's contrasting (I mean, that's the uniform number requirement, right?). If not, then there may be a contrast issue.

I have also found over the years that there are just going to be times when I accept less contrast than I like.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee