View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 12:24pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In any realistic scale of good/acceptable/bad/worse/horrible, and as related to the ability to survive, only a total moron would believe it is better for the BU to refuse to bail out the crew in an obvious infield fly rule situation when the PU freezes. This is a case where survival mechanics need to kick in; BU should hesitate to allow the PU the opportunity to make the call when the ball is at it's highest point, but if the ball is coming down and still no call on an obvious situation, I will at least raise the closed fist, and if possible make a verbal call, too. The teams deserve the right call in a timely manner; and I can promise you they don't care even one little bit which umpire calls or signals if they get the protection they deserve. This procedure is more right than ever wrong no matter which set of mechanics you are supposed to be using.
I don't disagree. But I'm telling ya, I've heard it say in training sessions and on some umpire discussion boards that the language in the book saying it's the PU's call removes any responsibility on the BU's part.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker