View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 08:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Here is our system and it is simple. We as officials control 4 categories for the most part.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
How the Power Rating is Determined: The power rating is a number from 0 to 35, derived from 7 different criteria, as follows:

1. Promotion level: (Officials Control) Certified (C) -- 5 pts., Recognized (R) -- 3 pts., Registered (X) -- 1 pt.
  2. Part 1 exam score: (Officials Control) 96 -- 5 pts., 92 -- 4 pts., 88 -- 3 pts., 84 -- 2 pts, 80 -- 1 pt.
  3. Previous tournament experience for contests by this gender: state final -- 5 pts., super-sectional or football semifinal -- 4 pts., sectional or football quarterfinal -- 3 pts., football second-round game -- 2 pts., regional or other football playoff game -- 1 pt.
  4. Contest ratings (percentile rank of all officials): 90% -- 5 pts., 80% -- 4 pts., 70% -- 3 pts., 60% -- 2 pts., 50% -- 1 pt.
  5. Top 15 lists (percentile rank of all officials): 90% -- 5 pts., 80% -- 4 pts., 70% -- 3 pts. 60% -- 2 pts., 50% -- 1 pt.
  6. Clinic attendance (most recent clinic): (Officials Control) this year -- 5 pts., last year -- 3 pts., two years ago -- 1 pt.
  7. Varsity games worked (percentage of games a school is allowed to play in the regular season in that sport): (Control most of this too) 70% -- 5 pts., 60% -- 4 pts., 50% -- 3 pts., 40% -- 2 pts., 30% -- 1 pt. See table below.
The percentiles for the Top 15 and Ratings used to be things determined by officials as well. Every official's association used to have a Top 15 list, but they took that away a few years ago. Each Certified officials used to also be able to rate officials for varsity contests, but now that is also no longer the case. But just about every category you could control. And there are many other things considered outside of the Power Rating that was considered. I had 35 points last year and did not work the State Finals. There is a policy to not work more than 2 years in a row and then you take a year off. Even if my rating was that high again, I will not likely get back to a State Final. Geography, years of experience, what kind of games you work can all be considered along with many other things. I think people worry too much about things they ultimately cannot control.

Peace