View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
From what they've written, most, if not all, of those are intentional fouls. None of them are playing the ball. Some are stopping an obvious advantage. The NFHS, if you take their words as given, is saying these should be IF. They are also saying deliberate fouling at the end of the game is OK, but it needs to be done correctly, not just tapping/grabbing someone.

You will have a lot of people that will not call it as such...not all that different than the handcheck changes. If you did, however, you'd almost instantly see players go for the ball and commit a foul typical in the process....or even get the ball without fouling. I think they don't really want IFs to increase but to motivate the players to actually play defense and play basketball....make the game more interesting at the end instead of just the FT parade.
I agree with Cameron. In thousands of games I cant count on one hand my partners calling IF. Obvious bear hugs, grabbing shirts, pushing people etc at the end of game never gets called. I think they want these more obvious calls made so they are pushing for more IF calls. If its away from the ball it needs to be IF. If he comes up and its not a great play for the ball we talk to them. I am excited they are trying to get a discussion going and define that line better. Most people avoid it like the plague instead of defining when it is clearly needing an upgrade.

Bear hug is an IF. Grabbing a players shirt on a fast break is an IF. Going for the ball and a light foul is a foul at the end of the game. Light foul after the ball is gone is nothing in my book. A hard foul after the ball has been passed is an IF in my book. I know its a HTBT moment. Ive had enough that for me the lines are pretty good and I am excited its being discussed now. Cuz it feels like its never called even when some of these fouls are over the top or away from the ball and it catches people off guard.. because we dont enforce the IF rule well.