View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 11, 2017, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
We have been explicitly instructed to not call these types of fouls intentional fouls in our first meeting of the season. The message was incomplete - it wasn't entirely clear where the line in the sand is - I guess that's why we get paid the big bucks - we're supposed to know it when we see it.
I'm guessing your meeting had an assignor or two but no rules committee members in attendance. Kind of like 99.9% of association meetings around the country.

I rest my case.

Proclamations from the ivory tower in Indianapolis don't help us get better schedules.

-----

Edit: Wanted to share the contents of a letter I sent to the NFHS regarding this very subject after the POEs were released:

"I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep when I don't call intentional fouls, and you curse the officiating community. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that my failure to call intentional fouls, while tragic, is in the best interest of the game; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, is in the best interest of the game.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at post-season banquets, you want me on that court -- you need me on that court.

We use phrases like "game management," "preventative officiating," "common foul." We use these phrases as the backbone of a life spent officiating something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a committee who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very judgment that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a whistle and stand in the slot. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!"

Last edited by crosscountry55; Wed Oct 11, 2017 at 02:58pm.