View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 05, 2017, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Chief_Khan...

Watch out this advocation is addicting. I needed a 2nd job over 7 years ago and was addicted doing a church game in preparation for my first paid game a few days later.

Lost 50 lbs. The 1500 miles a year running, walking, sprinting, etc has put me at much better health than most my age. I have made over $100k in those years. Sure you have to buy some gear and pay some assocation fees. But we NEED you. No matter what you want from officating we need new blood. The average HS referee across all sports is 55. And they cant do it forever. Every level has it challenges. Your family is going to miss you. So limit yourself and enjoy them because you cant get back that time. For many it is a major stress reliever. Mentally fun to be in charge and manage the game. So much to learn it makes life fun and provides variety which is a major need for us. Will there be people who dont like your calls? Always. Just laugh all the way to the bank. If you focus on how much fun the other 99% of the time is you will love it.

Basketball is the hardest sport. So expect a large learning curve. And more sports its like taking candy from a baby. IF you study if you ask for feedback you will improve quickly. Your desire to get books and get videos puts you ahead of 99% of other newbies. Your willingness to come here and talk and keep asking questions puts you way out in front. Keep coming back. These guys will make you golden quickly.

It is the best part time job in America. I make $15-20k a year and its hard working a second job for 10 hours a week. Because I am approaching my 50s but its great money and most of the time its fun working with friends and watching kids grow up and you getting paid to keep in shape.

Good luck in NY!