View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 08:37pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Well, this thread has given me a moment of pause to reflect on exactly "why" I choose to ref basketball. When I first started out the local YMCA, my purpose for reffing their youth games was two-fold: 1) it got me extra income and 2) it afforded me a free membership. Then after two years with them, the sports director sponsored me to take my first NF exam and paid for my certification process. Ymca managment said they wanted to "improve" the level of YMCA basketball officials and this would in turn improve the status of their youth leagues--which actually worked out quite well. It was such a pleasure to work those Ymca games in my early years of officiating---the fans (who were mostly parents--and yes Billy Mac-- comprised of numerous very 'hot moms'), the coaches (dads some of whom I had played against competitively), and players (some of whom remember me even today from 15 years ago! And I must say it is always quite amusing when I see a player whom I reffed in 6th grade who now has kids, tattoos, etc.) were nice, appreciative, and would always thank me after the games regardless of the outcome of the contest. Often bringing orange slices, sharing snacks, and inviting me out to lunch. As I began to get middle school and high school assignments I found that the money was significantly better; however, the rigors (dealing with irascible coaches, acerbic fans, and travel time) were new to me and initially disheartening. Then as I began to be challenged more and acquire more rules knowledge, game management skills, and all-- I discovered a deeper reason to officiate---and it is this ultimate reason that sustains my interest and desire today. I realized that I truly enjoy refereeing games because by being a referee I get to possess and dispense a highly specialized knowledge (i.e., the formal NF rules and their interpretation) in an instantaneous and impartial manner that has a very real public impact and consequences. Could I get this same 'high' from my regular job? Yes, but this is different! Yeah man, that's a thrill to me! Officiating basketball fulfills one of the Maslow hierarchy dimensions for me. : > )
Thank you for sharing.