View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 30, 2017, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Khan View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm in Queens NY and I was wondering the process of becoming a basketball referee and also I would like to know how you guys made time to ref games.
I'm in sales and that usually helps me make my own schedule.

Quote:
1. I've been reading a downloaded copy of NFHS basketball rules. Do you think this is enough to help me pass the exam ?
Depends on the kind of learner you are. I would suggest that you pick up the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook and probably the Rules By Topic Book as well that put many rules and case plays into context. This is really helpful to guys that never have read a rulebook or understand its structure. Hard to read alone unless it is put out for you to understand.

Quote:
2. Is the IAABO test the same as NFHS or is it different rules ?
I have no idea, not in a place that takes either.

Quote:
3. Has anyone ever passed the test without taking the class ?
We did not have classes when I started. But our test was an open book test and you could look up the rules in the rulebook and casebook.

Quote:
4. Do you recommend any other reading material or videos I can view to help me out ?
I gave two, but NASO/Referee Magazine has many things that you can buy. I would suggest you invest in yourself and probably pick up many things that might help. the IAABO videos are great. Some of the books are great. It is just a matter of how much money you want to invest. But think of it as, "How many games it will take to pay for my investment."

Peace

Quote:
5. Does anyone have a IAABO book available for purchase or can i buy one from somewhere ?