View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 29, 2017, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with BNR (as he was formerly known....not sure why that changed). First of all, I hope you're not too late for this year, but you're probably a little late to the party for the 17-18 season at least at the scholastic level (particularly high school). But there is almost always a need for recreational and weekend junior ball officials, and though the pay isn't fantastic, it can be a great way to get experience.

If you can break into school ball this winter, time flexibility to deal with traffic and get to game sites in the 4pm-ish timeframe will help you move up faster. Not to say you can't move up otherwise, but you'll have fewer game opportunities which might translate to slower development and advancement. Of course there's no substitute for raw talent; if you end up possessing it and you work for an assignor who values ability over seniority (all should, but sadly many don't), then advancing might happen faster.

BNR mentioned the upfront investment (equipment, fees, association dues, etc.). Take it from all of us....it's worth it. Even with a stable rec/youth schedule, you'll get your investment back at least four- or five-fold. School games = even more. Plus I hear parts of the NYC area grant some of the highest game fees in America, so you have that going for you.

Thanks for your interest and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk