View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 01:58pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I still don't know if I am reading the problem correctly.
And I guess I'm at a loss what is missing, when jmkupka pretty much covered it clearly in my mind. It's simply a matter of the two paths the BR takes to come to the last stride before she touches the base.

If her path is within the runner's lane, she's okay if she hinders F3 receiving the throw (assuming, of course, that the throw is right at the base, requiring F3 to look through the BR to see it, instead of well to F3's right so she has to stretch towards second base to catch it). The BR is allowed to leave the lane for that last stride to touch the bag since it's in fair territory.

But if her path is in fair territory the whole way and she gets to the same place when she hinders F3, then she's not okay because she never ran to first the way the rule requires to preclude that hindrance.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker