View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 26, 2017, 07:59am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
In your actual case " F3 could not see it ", it seems you ruled correctly.

As to the general principle, regardless of that other sport; it would only be an issue if the BR interfered with the throw. That would be the same as your actual case.

I feel like I'm missing something in the OP description, so please tell me what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka
1. running in fair territory the entire time, veering to the right on the last step, hitting the bag, then going foul.
2. running in the running lane the entire time, veering left on the last step, hitting the bag, and going back foul.

In both cases, runner is in the exact same place, and is plunked with the ball on that last step. In sit 1, INT. In sit 2, play on.
jmkupka said it better than I did, which is probably why I confused you. It basically amounts to the path the BR took before she hinders the fielder taking the throw at first base with her last stride to touch that base. What jmkupka covered is how it is ruled in that other sport, and I was wondering if it should be the same way in softball.

The resurrected NCAA runner's lane rule specifically mentions that the runner may "leave the lane" on that last stride. To me, that means if she was never in the lane in the first place, she doesn't get any leeway for interfering on that last stride. I'm just not sure if that's how it's handled for other softball organizations that don't make mention of that.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker