View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 25, 2017, 03:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I never said or implied that communication was not a big deal. Only that it may take on different meanings for coaches and officials. e.g. I am not going to spend my entire game talking to coaches like some officials (in high school and college) will, and the reality is that there are some coaches who take everything so personally, especially at the high school level, that they will think you are standoffish and/or a poor communicator in general if you're not willing to chit-chat at every opportunity.
Being a good communicator does not mean chatting all game. And the D1 coach and D3 supervisor both said as much. The D1 coach said there's needs to be a point where an official says, in a professional manner, that enough is enough. And when that warning isn't heeded, then you popped the coach with a T.

But let's not pretend there aren't officials out there, HS and college, who don't come into games with the attitude that they are not going to have any communication with the coaches, because there are.