View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 25, 2017, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I never said or implied that communication was not a big deal. Only that it may take on different meanings for coaches and officials. e.g. I am not going to spend my entire game talking to coaches like some officials (in high school and college) will, and the reality is that there are some coaches who take everything so personally, especially at the high school level, that they will think you are standoffish and/or a poor communicator in general if you're not willing to chit-chat at every opportunity.
Totally agree. Just looked at an email that was about a situation with an incident that I had with a coach (he was T'd up by my partner) some two seasons ago. He was given a T and wanted to continuously relitigate the issue with me during the game and I refused. I was trying to keep him in the game and told him as such. He took it personally and basically cursed us off the court and threatened me with the, "You will never work here again.....blah...blah....blah." Well, I worked there the very next season with the same official that gave him a T (a legend in our area) and we had no incident at all in the next game. BTW, that coach has been fired. I am not sure they won 5 games in the last two seasons. If I had listened to the coach, I would have communicated with him and likely he would have said something that would have got him ejected from that game. I was trying to just officiate a blowout and get out with as little strife as possible. I was not going to win by more communication because the communication we did previously obviously did not work.

Peace