View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 05, 2017, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Wolf View Post
I coach in North Carolina and it was my understanding, I think 2 years ago, that a new rule under the NFHS Ruling Guidelines that it was illegal for a Tight End to cut block below the waist. I think I also remember some changes to the Free Blocking Zone. Can someone please enlighten me on this subject.
The free blocking zone is 4 yards to either side of the snap and 3 yards in advance of and behind the LOS. He may block below the waist against an opponent as long as both he and the opponent are on the line and in the zone at the snap, the contact occurs within the zone, and the zone has not disintegrated yet (i.e., the ball has not left the zone). Note: if you have a guard, tackle, and TE on one side of the center, it would have to be a very tight formation to get the TE inside the FBZ before the snap.

But, with an unbalanced formation where you just have a guard and TE on one side of the snapper, the TE is usually within the free blocking zone. It doesn't matter what the player's designated position is (TE in this case), just whether or not he meets the above criteria.

The most recent change to the free blocking zone says that clipping is now illegal even inside the zone. But I must say I haven't seen a clip inside the free blocking zone since 'Nam. Others may have.