View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 13, 2017, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ambiguous ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... if the rule is that ambiguous how would you get in trouble?
Only if, as some Forum members state (and if they're NFHS correct), that the rule is not ambiguous, but rather, set in stone, live ball, and only live ball, equals participating and penalize, period, end of discussion, take it to the bank, Happy Trails, Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!

I'm not that confident on my side of this debate (and that's my point). I can't cite any specific rule, or casebook play, that says we can penalize when the ball is live, and/or the clock is running. Almost all of my interpretations are my opinion (maybe with a little purpose and intent thrown in), and may in fact, be dead wrong. But I can say the same thing about the other side of this debate. Which again, is my point, that we need more information from the NFHS to correctly rule on some of these more than five situations.

My opinion is that there can be a gray area written test questions (I "play" the written test question "card" to demonstrate whether the situation is gray, or black and white, written test questions are really not too important in my little corner of Connecticut, open book, group discussion going over correct answers, all get full credit if they take the test, no matter how many wrong answers, and show up at one of over a dozen test review meeting sites) regarding some of these situations. I'm sure that other Forum members could opine that written test questions regarding some of these situations can be easily answered in a black or white manner (live ball, and only live ball, equals participate and penalize).

Keep in mind that some of my situations are quite rare in a real game. If my opinion is right, I can't get into any trouble (purpose and intent should cover me). If my opinion is wrong, I can be wrong on a written test question, and/or in a game situation.

It's not that I've never been wrong before.

My opinion: Stupid NFHS rule editors.

Others' opinion: NFHS rules regarding some of these more than five situations are as clear as day and are fine as they exist.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 13, 2017 at 03:23pm.