View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 13, 2017, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

To combine the last two posts with one response (reminder that every play needs to be judged on its' own merits):

The play described had an outfielder returning the ball after what I read as a clean hit. Any knowledgeable runner would round first and read the throw (delayed, accuracy, to a wrong base, missed the cut.....). The runner is entitled to that clear path without being obstructed. No way would I anticipate her running straight thru, like an infield play/hit.

So, to TeeBob's clarification, I better grasp his ruling. She wasn't rounding, and by running straight thru pretty much acknowledged she was done advancing. So no protection beyond first.

But I will disagree with youngump relating to a runner having no business rounding first (which is what I visualized, and why I piggybacked here); that is exactly what any good coach would teach and expect on that hit. And she was hindered, and unless it happened 10-15 feet before first, that's where I'm in range of the NCAA "rounding and returning" philosophy. Once past rec leagues, and into any level of travel and up, first basemen are being taught to be in the vicinity and "without obstructing" be in the way.

That's quickly and usually resolved early when the arm goes out and obstruction is called; and the runner should be protected on the other side of the base, too. Once the defense learns that they are giving away any opportunity for an out between first and second, it stops. You would be surprised, perhaps, how NOT accidental it is.

NCAA added that second version of obstruction for exactly that reason; and called once, a warning once; well, it's pretty much left the game at that level. At the levels leading up to that; well, they are doing it until you call it and take away any positive outcome.

You stated a TWP; what you recite is exactly that. My good friend IrishMafia will repeatedly tell coaches they need to coach the play in front of them. No matter how you want to protect the obvious double to third, it was an obvious double, and she outran her protection. Sorry, but runner and coach have the responsibility for that out. Not the obstruction rule or effect.