View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 12, 2017, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Wing officials can throw flags in numerous situations. Wings are certainly going to flag illegal motion (which the referee cannot judge very well) and snap infractions if they see them. Referees are generally primary on false starts by a back between the tackles, but line of scrimmage officials will flag false starts by wings or flankers who are also backs, when they are outside the tackles.

Wing officials are responsible for the Tackle on their side after the snap, so may throw a flag for a holding foul or for another illegal block by either offense or defense. The wing official also picks up the runner when he gets to the line, and is responsible for fouls by or against the runner, as well as any fouls in the immediate vicinity of the runner. Before the runner gets to the line, the wing is responsible for blocks in front of the runner. On passing plays, the wing is responsible for illegal forward passes, pass interference, holding by either team, illegal touching, etc. The wing is also responsible to assist the referee on intentional grounding fouls, though the referee will have the flag in that case.

No foul will cause a live ball to become dead, so whistles will ONLY be blown if the ball is dead or the dead ball was attempting to be put into play by an illegal snap or illegal kick. Most fouls are live ball fouls and the official must continue to officiate after throwing the flag.

I think your task will be very difficult. I can't see how to make a short, yet comprehensive, list of all situations that a wing official will react to with a flag or with a whistle.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk