View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 05, 2017, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I disagree with that statement to some extent. Local rules are made by people who understand who the majority of players PAYING to play in their league are. The majority of players playing in Recreational Leagues are not going out and playing USA Tourneys on the weekends. They are out to play for 1 or 2 nights per week. The local rules allow some flexibility to allow the games to be played and the participants to get what they PAID for, the chance to participate in the games.

Are some rules over the top stupid? Absolutely, because at some point they do start to mess with the integrity of the game, but some of the rules do exactly what the purpose of the local rule is, getting those who are paying to participate a chance to participate.

It is made very clear at our yearly league clinic. "We are in a business to attract teams. Without teams you, as umpires, don't have games to work."

I understand who is paying the bills. That doesn't make what they want to do right, nor does it mean as an umpire I would have to work those games. Do you do everything the players and sponsors want? If not, why not? After all, they are paying the bills.