View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 11:34am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Actually, it was supposed to be 3 female officials. If everyone heard the full story (which I'm sure will eventually get around), they'd be shocked to learn that Adidas' behavior was even douchier than has been reported in various articles.
In fact it was going to be three female officials, at least two of which were clinicians at the camp and currently/formerly work D1/NCAA tournament. Ed was on a radio show where he said this.

Quote:
The official in question is from China, where apparently it is customary for such contact with a player. And the kid got T'd for this by another official, it's just not noticeable on the video.
Can I ask how you know? I'm surprised that another official noticed this -- I don't watch my partners that closely and would probably miss that.

Quote:
1) AAU has a dress code for coaches.
2) Article says right up front that this is part of the Adidas Uprising, so THIS IS NOT an AAU event.
3) Fans at the venue I work AAU games at get tossed, or at least a conversation with security, for running up to the scorer's table, so why does this fall under "AAU is the scourge of the basketball planet" category?
4) It is on officials to keep coaches off the court. Are you expecting tournament organizers to come on the court and tell the coaches to sit down?
We need a new term for offseason basketball that doesn't besmirch the AAU moniker. They've been getting a bad rap in the media for the crap that happened at the Adidas event. I worked y first AAU-official event a couple weeks ago and everything was VERY well run. Coaches dressed in dress casual wearing nice shorts and polos and no hats. Players were about that same as other events but I could actually talk to the coaches and they seemed respectful of what we were trying to do. There were still hiccups here and there but NOTHING like in the LeBron video with him and his posse 5 feet on the floor during play (further than the officials!) and accosting the table at 1:30 when they had the arrow wrong. I would hopefully have shut that down early. Otherwise the inmates would run the asylum.