Thread: "T" for jewelry
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Saw a situation in a game I watched tonight, which I hope someone can help with. Ball sailed OOB, ref whistled, horn sounded for subs, sub came in, ref held up the ball and told sub she couldn't come in until she removed earrings. Player ran off floor, different sub came in. Opposite coach started screaming for a "T", and ref called it! She called it on the player individually, gave the shots and ball at half-court, the whole routine.

At halftime the score keeper asked me privately what the exact rule was on that. I said that I thought a T was correct and that we try to avoid it if we can, but that technically it is a technical foul. He pushed pretty hard, using the ol' "I used to be a ref and I never heard of that" thing. I stuck to my guns and he finally backed down.

But damned if I can find it in the rule book! Any suggestions?
Unlike Mark and Dave, I'll assume that you're asking about the penalty for jewelry, not the penalty for illegal substitution.

If that's the case, the official was wrong. A player wearing jewelry must leave (or not enter) until the jewelry is removed. No other penalty is assessed.

See cases 2.4.5A and 2.4.5B