View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 02, 2017, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So a sixth team member could be on the court during some dead balls (between free throws, or immediately after a goal, both dead ball situations), and you would simply send the sixth team member off the court without penalty because they are not, by your definition, participating?

(Note: I don't have an answer, I'm just asking.)
Not quite.
While I firmly believe that the sixth individual is not participating under these circumstances and thus cannot be penalized under that specific rule, the sotuation could fall under the purview of a substitute technical foul for failure to report to the scorer or failure to be properly beckoned onto the court by an official.
This is exactly what I would use to justify a penalty after a made goal with the clock running and the ball dead prior to the ensuing throw-in. You don't know how the sixth man got out there, but this is a time during which he cannot have entered legally and he got out there somehow, so a penalty is justified.

On the other hand, following a made FT, he could have quickly zipped in from the table without you noticing and it would be inappropriate to penalize that. I you don't observe the entry, you need to be certain that it was illegal in order to penalize it.

The two separate rules for substitute technicals and six team members participating should cover all of the situations requiring a penalty.