View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 01, 2017, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Are you suggesting that hand position is the deciding factor?

Is it possible for the hand to be under the ball and not be illegal?

Is it possible for the hand to be on top of the ball and be illegal?
When has a dribble ended? When a. The dribbler catches or causes the ball to come to rest in one or both hands. or b. The dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands. So yes, hand position is a significant factor. It is hard for a ball to "come to rest" in a hand that is above the ball. Now one can "palm/carry" a ball with your hand on top, but that would mean you are exerting some sort of control over the ball to make it do something other than its normal bouncing motion. In the play in question the dribbler doesn't do anything with the ball that would meet either of those criteria. He let's the ball's natural bounce hang in the air while he creates space with his feet before ending the dribble by grabbing it with both hands. If he were to let the ball hang in the air with his hand under the ball it would be much easier to rule that the dribble had ended and therefore he was traveling.

All I'm saying is if I see this move at full speed and the dribbler keeps his hand above the ball I ain't calling it.