View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 12:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is the story that I saw. The guy stole my Cry Baby line from a few days ago with his #BigCryBaby. I still like BigBawler!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lavar-b...160917511.html

For the record, I have officiated the LV BigTime and the Adidas Super64 in the past. These tourneys change names over the years, but it's still the same deal. These are AAU events in Vegas with the top HS players held during one of the sanctioned NCAA evaluation period for all the major college coaches.
The level of play is darn good. Some of the coaches, players, and fans can be a challenge to handle. Personally, I had a few Ts, but no ejections over the years. Although, I witnessed a few warranted ejections.
I've done these games in both a camp situation as well as non-camp for pay.
I do think that it is difficult for the female officials in the camp situations to be put into these games because the vast majority of them work girls HS or women's JC/D2 and don't see the athleticism or level of physical contact that these boys exhibit. I've seen several coaches and players become frustrated with whistles that are tighter than what they are accustomed to having, but never had anyone be a complete @ss about it.
Btw the reverse is true for me. When I'm asked to work a GV/BV HS double-header, I have to make a conscious effort to evaluate contact at an appropriate level for the girls contest. I have made the mistake of letting GV games be too physical and had some unhappy coaches/players.
I call advantage / disadvantage. I don't call every bump as some girls officials do. Couldn't care less if coaches and players are unhappy.

She's a D1 official. She can work a game like this 7 days a week.

The whole thing is shameful. At the camp where I was a clinician this past weekend, a coach like this would've been sent home.