View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 02:50pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I won't disagree with that. But we've all probably reacted that way at some point. The fact that it was associated with such a traumatic injury had to be very emotional. And if it happened to be his daughter (perhaps not) that was hurt, that would be real tough.

I think Teebob took the right approach (if there is such a thing in that kind of situation) in focusing on the injured player.

I'm fortunate to not have something like that happen in games I've worked. I had a woman get a broken nose on a bad hop grounder, one broken leg on a play at the plate, and a torn up leg on a slide into home by a woman wearing shorts.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing Teebob's approach. I'm just appalled that the coach would come up with such a blatantly wrong accusation of the umpire's role here. I would've expected something more like the coach accusing the other team's coach for teaching runners to take out fielders. But to place fault with the umpire here is way out of line, even in the heat of the moment.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker